Chapter 3 - The mod, the mobs, and the Admin.
"You're nuts." I address
"No I'm not." Robert counters, smiling. "But if you consider a man who is a trusted leader, a loving father, and a faithful husband nuts, then I am one."
"Why can't we just escape on a boat or something?" I argue, and Robert smiles again.
"Because the Admin has set up mods around this world." Robert says, confusing me again. "When the Admin noticed us castaways ashore his world, he sent his minions to set up a Pentagon mod to morph the dimensions and times around here, transporting this world to the parallel universe."
I can't understand a world he spoke. Well, not literally a word, but the whole concept of Minecraft world and mod and everything is a mystery to me. "I'm sorry, but I don't understand a word you just said."
"Of course, you need to be educated first." Robert laughs, and leads me to the Community Center. The interior of the building is wide and cozy, illuminated with torches lined up by the wall. Chairs, small, big and made out of wood, are arranged by all four sides of a square fireplace made out of brick blocks. On a wall parallel to the entrance lays a stairway leading to the second floor.
"This is where the villagers gather to have leisure time, discuss our works, and file our complaints." Robert explains the use of the building. "Ask Jake to teach you about this world. He's in the library."
The library, unlike the one in my schema, is a large room full of machines, not books. Mechanisms, small and big, are lined up all across the room, surrounding a small desk and Jake Sachs. Jake was tall, lanky, and sloppy. His clothes, oversized cotton shirt and khaki pants under a big white apron, are covered with grime and dirt. And he is, of course, made out of cubes and squares.
"Oh hello there." Jake utters as he rises from a chair and knocks over a small machine. "I'll get that. Your name is David?"
"Yeah." I answer as Jake picks up the machine and places it on a stand. "What's that?"
"It's called the Index." Jake retorts. "It keeps track of all the resources available and the crafting codes. Made by yours truly."
"Can't you use the computer or something to keep track of things like that?" I question.
"The mod atmosphere messes up with the motherboard. It's practically useless, unless you use it as a weapon." answers Jake.
"Great." I sigh in disappointment. "I brought a laptop. It's in my boat: what's left of it anyway. And I don't even know what a mod is."
"Well then I'll have to teach you." announces Jake, pulling a book out from under his desk. The book was bigger than the Oxford dictionary, and the cover is full of fancy gold swirling, with golden Greek letters in the center and an English translation taped under it. The title says Record of Times.
"We all learn from this book." Jake opens the book and groans at the sight of the first page, and old papyrus, doodled on by a little kid. "And I especially told Aaron and Katherine to stop messing with the book. Anyway, this book teaches about this world and what to expect, and they're orderly written by a man named Herobrine. We're guessing he is the first castaway ever since the Admin took control."
I see what he means by orderly as he flips to the unblemished page 2. The table of contents, thankfully not besmirched by Robert's little kids, reveals a very organized, almost strategically placed list of information. "How did you translate all this? Do you guys have a Greek guy here or something?"
"That's when this comes in handy." Jake rummages through his arrays of machines and grabs a red gadget that represents a scanner you see in the supermarket. "This is the Translator. It reads a sentence and displays the translated sentence in any desired language."
"Nice." I comment as Jake flips to page 4, where the first chapter, Of This World, is at.
"So it says, 'World modification and perfection, or mod for short, is the single component that binds the entire Minecraft world and separates it from the other world, such as the mighty Mt. Olympus or Athens the Great City of the Greeks. Through careful research and some life-threatening situations, I have learned a way to tame the wild mod atmosphere. (To see how to tame the mod, see Chapter 3: How to conjure a mod.)' We know from that paragraph that mod is something that holds the Minecraft world in its grasp, and that the mod can be conjured." reads Jake.
"How is it conjured?" I ask. "is it like Harry Potter, where you wave your wand and say the spell name?"
Jake sniggers at my simpleton answer. "Not exactly. Mod is not articulated, it is drawn."
"Drawn?" I question in confusion.
"We'll get to that part. But for now, you need to be prepared for what could happen here." Jake announces, turning to page 5, and starts to read.
"Herobrine wrote: 'In Minecraft, physics are defied. Leaves decay faster than in real world. Mankind gain godly power and speed. All but two types of resource blocks dare gravity by levitating in the air, no matter the size or weight." Jake articulates as he skims through the book and points at a picture drawn on the top right corner of page 5. The painting was of a square resembling a stone block floating above ground.
"Hi guys." Claudia said as she entered the 'library', her golden, lustrous hair shining bright from lights exuding from an odd boxy machine with holes that Jake created and named 'Everlasta' few weeks ago. (It's a really nice machine, and handy in caves or at night." Jake comments.) "What are you guys doing?"
"I was explaining David about this world." Jake greets. "What brings you here?"
"Dinner's ready." Claudia announces. "Let's go eat."
"You're nuts." I address
"No I'm not." Robert counters, smiling. "But if you consider a man who is a trusted leader, a loving father, and a faithful husband nuts, then I am one."
"Why can't we just escape on a boat or something?" I argue, and Robert smiles again.
"Because the Admin has set up mods around this world." Robert says, confusing me again. "When the Admin noticed us castaways ashore his world, he sent his minions to set up a Pentagon mod to morph the dimensions and times around here, transporting this world to the parallel universe."
I can't understand a world he spoke. Well, not literally a word, but the whole concept of Minecraft world and mod and everything is a mystery to me. "I'm sorry, but I don't understand a word you just said."
"Of course, you need to be educated first." Robert laughs, and leads me to the Community Center. The interior of the building is wide and cozy, illuminated with torches lined up by the wall. Chairs, small, big and made out of wood, are arranged by all four sides of a square fireplace made out of brick blocks. On a wall parallel to the entrance lays a stairway leading to the second floor.
"This is where the villagers gather to have leisure time, discuss our works, and file our complaints." Robert explains the use of the building. "Ask Jake to teach you about this world. He's in the library."
The library, unlike the one in my schema, is a large room full of machines, not books. Mechanisms, small and big, are lined up all across the room, surrounding a small desk and Jake Sachs. Jake was tall, lanky, and sloppy. His clothes, oversized cotton shirt and khaki pants under a big white apron, are covered with grime and dirt. And he is, of course, made out of cubes and squares.
"Oh hello there." Jake utters as he rises from a chair and knocks over a small machine. "I'll get that. Your name is David?"
"Yeah." I answer as Jake picks up the machine and places it on a stand. "What's that?"
"It's called the Index." Jake retorts. "It keeps track of all the resources available and the crafting codes. Made by yours truly."
"Can't you use the computer or something to keep track of things like that?" I question.
"The mod atmosphere messes up with the motherboard. It's practically useless, unless you use it as a weapon." answers Jake.
"Great." I sigh in disappointment. "I brought a laptop. It's in my boat: what's left of it anyway. And I don't even know what a mod is."
"Well then I'll have to teach you." announces Jake, pulling a book out from under his desk. The book was bigger than the Oxford dictionary, and the cover is full of fancy gold swirling, with golden Greek letters in the center and an English translation taped under it. The title says Record of Times.
"We all learn from this book." Jake opens the book and groans at the sight of the first page, and old papyrus, doodled on by a little kid. "And I especially told Aaron and Katherine to stop messing with the book. Anyway, this book teaches about this world and what to expect, and they're orderly written by a man named Herobrine. We're guessing he is the first castaway ever since the Admin took control."
I see what he means by orderly as he flips to the unblemished page 2. The table of contents, thankfully not besmirched by Robert's little kids, reveals a very organized, almost strategically placed list of information. "How did you translate all this? Do you guys have a Greek guy here or something?"
"That's when this comes in handy." Jake rummages through his arrays of machines and grabs a red gadget that represents a scanner you see in the supermarket. "This is the Translator. It reads a sentence and displays the translated sentence in any desired language."
"Nice." I comment as Jake flips to page 4, where the first chapter, Of This World, is at.
"So it says, 'World modification and perfection, or mod for short, is the single component that binds the entire Minecraft world and separates it from the other world, such as the mighty Mt. Olympus or Athens the Great City of the Greeks. Through careful research and some life-threatening situations, I have learned a way to tame the wild mod atmosphere. (To see how to tame the mod, see Chapter 3: How to conjure a mod.)' We know from that paragraph that mod is something that holds the Minecraft world in its grasp, and that the mod can be conjured." reads Jake.
"How is it conjured?" I ask. "is it like Harry Potter, where you wave your wand and say the spell name?"
Jake sniggers at my simpleton answer. "Not exactly. Mod is not articulated, it is drawn."
"Drawn?" I question in confusion.
"We'll get to that part. But for now, you need to be prepared for what could happen here." Jake announces, turning to page 5, and starts to read.
"Herobrine wrote: 'In Minecraft, physics are defied. Leaves decay faster than in real world. Mankind gain godly power and speed. All but two types of resource blocks dare gravity by levitating in the air, no matter the size or weight." Jake articulates as he skims through the book and points at a picture drawn on the top right corner of page 5. The painting was of a square resembling a stone block floating above ground.
"Hi guys." Claudia said as she entered the 'library', her golden, lustrous hair shining bright from lights exuding from an odd boxy machine with holes that Jake created and named 'Everlasta' few weeks ago. (It's a really nice machine, and handy in caves or at night." Jake comments.) "What are you guys doing?"
"I was explaining David about this world." Jake greets. "What brings you here?"
"Dinner's ready." Claudia announces. "Let's go eat."
No comments:
Post a Comment