Total Pageviews

Monday, September 26, 2011

Minecraft the Novel - chapter 5

Chapter 5 - Of Mobs and men

“Let’s start with zombies. They are the firstborn of the darkness and foot soldiers of the Admin. You can easily find the garden variety ones with blue skins and moans. They attack with their sharp claws, and occasionally with their fangs.” Hamish begins, talking between bites.
“How do you kill them?” I ask.
“Swords, bow and arrow, anything of fire damage, and mods. Sunlight is also a lethal weapon against zombies, since they are the descendant of the void.” Hamish answers, and takes out an iron sword. “This sword can kill a zombie in 3 slashes. They are easy to craft, but inefficient against massive hoard of zombies. I recommend bow and arrow for killing them.”
“There are various kinds of zombies. Rock zombies let out a brownish gray hue and are found in caves. The Gilled Ones can move faster in water and can breathe underwater. Hawkboys have small wings crafted to their back, too small to be able to fly but big enough to give the zombie extra boost in jumping. The strongest known zombie species is the Knights. They are normal zombies, except they have leather, iron, gold, or even diamond armors on. They are resilient against arrows and even sunlight, but you can harm them critically with some fire, mod, or sword.” Hamish continued.
“Are the knights’ armors wearable?” I ask.
“To some degrees, yes.” Hamish responds as he opens his chest and takes out a cooked beef stake. “In fact, my golden breastplate comes from one of the Knights of the Earth, a name of the Knights with golden armor.”
“What do they also give?” I question him.
“Mostly rotten flesh and feathers. The Gilled One once dropped raw fish.” Hamish replied.
“What does rotten flesh do?” I barrage Hamish with questions.
“You’re damn curious, aren’t you?” Hamish smirks, and I chuckle. “I would tell you, but we have much to learn, so just don’t try to eat it.”
“Another offspring of the darkness is the Skeleton. They are cunning, intelligent, and tricky to kill. They can attack you from range with bow and arrow, so use strafe techniques, which I will teach you when my wound heals somewhat.” Hamish proceeds with lecture, as he devours the steak, speaking between bites.
“What kinds of skeletons are there?” I ask Hamish.
“Many, depending on types of bow and arrow. There are Incendiaries, with fiery and explosive arrows, Intoxicas with poisonous arrows, Heavies with crossbows, and Enchanters with mod-enchanted arrows. There are more, but not yet revealed.” Hamish lists some of the types of skeleton. “Anyhow, skeletons are smart enough to craft deadly range weapons.”
“If they are that smart,” I argue. “How can we kill them?”
“Despite their cunning brains and dexterity, they are fragile. Two shots of fully drawn bow can kill one. Sunlight can also be fatal to them.” Hamish says as he leans back.
“Next comes Spiders. They pose threat to cave explorers because they can climb up walls and hang on ceilings, launching a surprise attack and poisoning the opponent. The poison can’t kill you, but lowers your health into a critical condition.” Hamish explains. To kill them, thrusting your blade into the poison sac, located on their back, can prove instant death. They turn neutral at days, though. So they pose no threats in the days.”
"Is there any kinds of spiders?” I interrogate.
“None other than occasional Jockeys: Skeletons on Spiders. They serve as cavalry of the Admin, and their vitality matches the Knights’.” Hamish answers.
“Creeper brings up the rear.” Hamish announces as he takes a photo of the monster called creeper. It was the same creature as what injured Claudia. “They are the Halbringer of Death, the Kamikaze, the reaper of Silence, or whatever you want to call them. They are as ancient as this world itself. They travel in silence, sneaks up on enemies, and blows up, hence the name.”
“How do you kill them? It seemed to explode in the tiniest of disturbance.” I ask.
“Ranged weapons,” Hamish yawns. “Creepers are only provoked to explode when there’s a hostile life-form nearby.”
“Are there any kinds of them?” I inquire Hamish.
“Thunderheads. The worst killer of all. One blow, and it’s over. No one would dare to fight Thunderheads with melee weapon. Even snowballs are better than diamond swords.” Hamish shudders at the thought of the Thunderhead creeper. Then, he takes a book out of his chest, and hands it over to me.
“What’s this?” I ask.
“Your mob guide. Study the parts about zombies, skeletons, creepers, and spiders thoroughly. I will test you in 3 days.” Hamish declares, preparing to sleep. ‘Your lecture is over for the day. You may go.”
Then Hamish fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment